Entering the city you can see from the Gate, a remnant of the wall of Missolonghi. The present walls, the remains of the wall Tuesday Siege, built at the behest of Otto in 1838. The wall had two gates of which only one survives today. The other was by the Heroes Garden near the "canon" (Dapia Franklin) and led to Aetoliko. Unfortunately a large part of the Wall (East) was destroyed in 1890 when the Railway Line and the Railway Station of SBDE were built.
The Garden of Heroes (Monument)
The Garden of Heroes was the initiative of John Kapodistrias on May 14, 1829. A year earlier at the behest of King Otto in ceremony had placed the bones of heroes in a tomb - imitation Mycenaean - periilifthi in the assembly of the Garden, and had been ordered to build the walls in the wake of the "fence" (the earthen mound was made by Athanasius Razikotsikas). Two sieges endured this great defensive work by the famous "mat". Inside the garden is the monument of Marcus Botsari was erected on October 14, 1838 during the visit of Otto and Amalia. In front of the Garden is the humble church of Agia Paraskevi at which meeting the Commission of the Fight on April 6, 1826 and decided the Exodus.
It was erected in 1962 through the efforts of "Etoliki Company" in the same place where the windmill was during the revolution in miniature, to commemorate the great sacrifice of hierarch Josef of Rogon. In times of revolution, the windmill was built on an island south of Missolonghi and 150 meters from the city. When Prokopanistos was abandoned and the enemy fleet entered the lagoon, the Mesologi forced to fortify (July 1825) with cannons to protect the city from the south side. The cannons of the windmill operated until the last moment of the Exodus, to him (after the motto "behind") Bishop Joseph and enrolled its tragic conclusion. After keeping the Turks 2 days, the dawn of Holy Monday, fired the last gunpowder and blew up, with their enemies. The ruins of the windmill survived until 1880 and by seeing others became the namesake cafe and then the present windmill.
In this he was born, raised and lived the historian Spyridon Trikoupis. In the same house he lived and his son Charilaos, politician, and many times prime minister of our country. The mansion, perhaps the oldest building in the city, is located near the lagoon. Built in 1840 by the Apostles and Themistocles Trikoupis uncles Harilaos. This house still retains its first architectural simplicity. Two floors with three balconies, this is an ordinary house with no architectural luxury, in contrast with what was happening in other mansions of Missolonghi. The house was donated to the Municipality by the offspring of Trikoupis, former MP K. Trikoupi and acts as a museum Trikoupis. Good description of the museum there in his book No. Kavagia "The Museum of Trikoupi family."
In this house was born in 1722 the founder of the palms and teacher of our race Panagiotis Palamas. In the same house and was the national poet Kostis Palamas. The house, located opposite the house Trikoupis. The facade is decorated with arches and a glazed terrace, which gives a special tone and sets it apart from other houses. In the halls of exhibits there (both written and photographic equipment, personal items, utensils, etc.) from the life and work of poet Mesolonghi.
This home housed political Zafeirio-Zenobius Valvi. Built with the same architectural simplicity and built his house Charilaos Trikoupis. This building along with the valuable library of the Prime Minister was donated by the heirs of the Municipality of Missolonghi (in 1962) and now used as a municipal library. It is worth noting that Valveios Public Library was established on 11/12/1963 as the same entity of the City Missolonghi. In December 1965 the North West (105) was named "Valveios" in honor of Zafiriou Valvi. In October 1983 "opened" to the public. The approximately 20,000 volumes are classified in accordance with international decimal classification system (Dewey Decimal Classification). Among these are old versions of Venice, Leipzig and Smyrna and a part of a personal library of late Panagiotis Kanellopoulos, who also donated to the municipality. The same building housed temporarily and the Historical Archive of the State (the law Aitoloakarnanias).
In this position, the depth seems a marble stele with a relief bust of Byron, was one of the Kapsaleika homes where he stayed and died Byron Ave. This column is for the professor of the Polytechnic Ant. Sochos and dedicated students of the University of Athens in 1924. Prior to this monument in 1973 by the Association Embellishing Missolonghi built small square called "Plaza Ave Byron." His home was at Byron High School for Boys, just behind his house lawyer O. Nider and destroyed by the bombing of Kapsalis. Along with this new building was built (1996-97) to house all located in Greece memorabilia of the poet and benefactor of Missolonghi. The building is not used and has not yet developed its surroundings.
The main attraction is the natural lagoon. The lagoon is divided into three parts, Kleisova lagoons of Missolonghi and Etoliko. All of this sea area together with the non cultivable beaches that environment is an important wetland. In the waters of the lagoon hiding the Kleisova the Vasiladi, Ai-Sostis, the Schinias the Prokopanistos, blurred, Paleopotamos the dolmades and Poros, uninhabited islands that played an important role in the liberation struggle of the Greeks. In all these islands operate farms producing the famous Mesolonghi fish. With a motorboat, you can visit all the Fish Farming in a day. The extent of lagoon covers 131 km squares output reaches 800,000 kilos of fish, 100,000 pounds and 1,500 pounds eel roe. The lagoon is ideal for walking, especially at the hour of sunset when the colors that paint the water to travel to exotic places. Very characteristic are the traditional homes of the fishermen that are built into the water, so-called "pelades."
Very beautiful is the port of Missolonghi. The depth of the lagoon is small. Large ships do not sail. The port of Missolonghi, since it began operating the ferry Rio-Antirio, shows no movement. They move only Mesolonghi and Aitoliotika boats, occasionally moor and no foreign ship with a cargo of flour or wood. But what it lacks in movement is gaining appeal with alternating colors and dinner kathreptisma west. Why is not excessive, that the sunset lagoon is one of the best in the world. Today the port are the Customs, the Offices of the Coast Fund Acarnania stores the Agricultural Bank and the Economic Chamber. There is also a small outdoor theater (a work of the Coast Fund). Moreover there are many clubs that gather Mesologi and foreigners throughout the year but especially during the summer (the Refreshments, Restaurant-Bar-Pool Plaza, the hotel and restaurant Theoxenia).
It is 5 km from the city and the journey is fascinating, because the paved road goes into the lagoon. It took its name from a type of sea birds that were there the "Curlews". You will see the Black Salt. They called "black" because the salt is lower in quality than the White, the other salt lake located on the road to Etoliko. Handsome is the settlement of Tourlida with wooden houses (pelades), where many spend their holidays . Today is the beach of Missolonghi. Tourlida until 1885 was an island. There he anchored the boat, before the harbor, and from there the waters are very shallow. The road which joined the city created by the excavations, made for the construction of the Port. To Curlew are two bars and restaurants and a cafeteria.
Monastery of St. Simeon
In the picturesque slopes of Libra, 8 km from Missolonghi, the monastery of St. Symiou built during the Ottoman era, in 1740 and was the refuge of thieves of Arakynthos. When was the Exodus of the garrison of Missolonghi, the monastery 't Ai Symiou was defined as a gathering place for fighters to help "Exodites." Unfortunately the plan was changed because Karaiskakis successor to Generalissimo K. Botsaris. Thus, "Exodites" arrived at the monastery not find help and because of that were in the ravine to attack the Albanian cavalry. The monastery was destroyed after he was set on fire by the armies of Ibrahim Kioutachis. Rebuilt by Archimandrite Ioannikios Aggeletos the year 1836. Since then, established the transition celebrants at the monastery during the feast of the Presentation (February 2) and rigged and mounted celebrants on the day of Pentecost. Ai-Symio will see the beautiful Byzantine church, the cells, the shelter of the celebrants, the large white cross that we set up in memory of the fallen fighters and enjoy the beautiful landscape as shaped by the eternal trees and pines neophyte. The monastery was renovated in 1973 with funds from the Diocese Aitolo / ment and care of the Reverend Mr. Theoklitos.
A church a few miles outside Missolonghi on the way to Aetoliko, in the "Palm tree". Nestled in the waters of the lagoon, was the canteen of Lord Byron. In this area came with the philhellene Gaitis of Gazi to rest.
The Ag . Spyridon is the patron saint of Missolonghi . Every year in the celebrations of the Exodus from this church starts the procession , which is directed to the Garden of Heroes , passing through the city .
The church of Agia Paraskevi is located outside the garden of Heroes . Here met the chieftains of Messolonghi decided the Exodus .
Page 1 of 2